Poet Artist Collaboration XVI - Call for Poets and Artists!
A sample collaboration from last year's exhibit:
painting by Art Kenyon, Red Wing, MN
poem by Chet Corey Bloomington, MN
Rain warping its awning
down like a body bag
being hefted to a gurney,
a handful of its “regulars”
their faces menus of grief.
The sign on the cafe’s
entry door says, “Closed.
Beloved Owner Died.”
The rain thundering down
on the awning like
applause at a Springsteen
concert in East Rutherford,
for another, another
and yet one more encore.
Entry deadline: Wed., Jan. 11, 2017
Exhibit dates: March 27 - April 27, 2017
Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
~Leonardo da Vinci
In honor of National Poetry Month in April, Crossings at Carnegie (Zumbrota, MN) invites poets and artists to enter the 16th Poet-Artist Collaboration, an annual exhibit in which artists create work inspired by poetry.
January 11: Entries for both poets and artists due - use online form and submit poems and art at specific email address on form (the email addresses are different for poetry vs visual art)
January 30: Notification to accepted poets and artists. (poets not selected will be notified ASAP)
March 25: Delivery deadline for actual artwork.
April 22: Reception/Reading
Guidelines for Poets
• Poets may submit no more than three poems.
• Each poem is to be limited to no more than two pages, Times New Roman 12 point font.
• Entries should be submitted online. Fill out the form here. Then, email poems as a Microsoft Word document attachment, using the email address provided with the form.
• DO NOT INCLUDE your name within the document or the file name. Your poem titles, listed on your entry form, will link your poems with your name. If untitled, please enter the first line of the poem for a title when completing the entry form.
• Registration is completed by paying $5 entry fee online (plus convenience fee), or by sending payment to: Crossings, 320 East Ave., Zumbrota, MN 55992.
• Previously published work is accepted. Due to space constraints, we cannot print notices regarding previous publishers in our chapbook or on printed copies hung on gallery walls.
• Poems will be juried, and those selected to be part of the collaboration will be chosen by an artist who will create an original piece of art inspired by the poem.
• Please do not submit a poem and an artwork as a pair. The purpose of the exhibit is to create collaboration.
Guidelines for Artists
• Entries should be submitted online. Fill out the form here. Then, send three low-resolution examples (72 dpi) of your current work as attachments to the email address provided. Please do not send large/hi-res files.
• Registration is completed by paying a $15 entry fee online (plus convenience fee) or by sending payment to: Crossings, 320 East Ave., Zumbrota, MN 55992.
• Artwork may be any medium (including photography IF combined with other media or manipulated in significant ways). It should be representative of your current work and in the medium you will use should you be selected to create a piece for the Poet-Artist Collaboration.
• Instructions on how to access, read and select poems online will be provided Jan. 30 to accepted artists.
• Deadline for delivery of exhibit artwork is March 25.
• Works must be ready for display - 2D work must be framed or ready to hang - and priced to include Crossings' 37% commission.
• No later than March 25, high resolution (300 dpi) digital images of artwork for the exhibit are required (for advertising purposes and for the chapbook). They should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Poets and artists are encouraged to attend the poet/artist reading and reception on Saturday, April 8, at 6:30 p.m. at Crossings. This special event will feature the poets reading and discussing their work, and the artists discussing how the poems inspired their art. The reading takes place at a vintage theatre next door and features the artwork displayed on a large screen. It is not only an opportunity for the poets and artists to meet each other, but an unforgettable evening of camaraderie for all those who love the arts!
As part of the exhibit, a full-color, glossy chapbook will be created, featuring each pair of poetry and artwork. This lovely keepsake will be made available at cost to all participants.